During the fall not only our skin and hair suffer from climate changes, but we may also experience lower levels of energy, bad mood and sometimes even depression.
There are a lot of natural ways to boost the mood and help live through tough times. Essential oils and aromatherapy are effective natural remedies, that have been used for thousands of years to heal our bodies.
How Essential Oils work?
When you smell an Essential Oil, receptors in the nose react to aroma molecules and send signals to the limbic system of the brain. The limbic system rules your emotions, which is why smelling certain scents can trigger positive emotions including a sense of peace, joy, contentment or excitement.
Besides triggering emotions, the limbic system is connected to certain parts [HJA1] of our brain that control blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, memory, stress levels, and hormone balance. This way smelling Essential oils with certain properties will affect your body on both physiological and psychological levels.
How to use Essential oils?
- Diffuse oils using special diffuser in your room.
- Rub topically a few drops of essential oils behind your ears, on the back of the neck, stomach and bottoms of the feet. Here I highly recommend to test how your body reacts to certain Essential oil on small part of skin (usually on wrist), before main application.
- Dilute Essential oils with a carrier oil and use the mixture as body moisturizer or therapeutic massage oil.
Here are some Essential oils that will help you feel better:
- Lavender helps alleviate anxiety and depression.
- Jasmine essential oil has a pleasing and uplifting effect on the mind and actively fights depression. It is also an aphrodisiac that makes you feel in love, enhances your libido and feelings of sexual desire. Jasmine Essential oil induces long, restful, and undisturbed sleep. It has sedative properties meaning it calms down the body, mind and soul.
- Mandarin oil is a common sedative, that helps relax and calm nervous afflictions and disturbances, removes stress and anxiety. It can even calm attacks of epilepsy, hysteria and convulsions.
- Petitgrain essential Oil helps overcome depression, anxiety, stress, anger, and fear. It uplifts the mood and induces positive thinking.
- Rue essential oil also acts as a sedative for the nerves and calms down nervous disturbances and afflictions, convulsions, and nervous hyper-activity.
Other mood increasing Essential oils:
- Ylang Ylang
Essential oils such as Jasmine, Mandarin, Rue, Geranium, Petitgrain, Rose, Cassia, Neroli and Myrrh are included in Clearly MOOD - body oil, that I use in the days, when I feel more stressed out.
I like to apply MOOD after I take relaxing warm bath before going to sleep, or as a body moisturizer after shower when I am at the wellness club.